CELEBRITIES        CULTURE        FASHION        FILM        FOOD        MUSIC        THEATRE        TRAVEL        TV

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Richard III: Propeller vs Spacey

Photo by Alastair Muir and Manuel Harlan


Dear fab friends,

Perhaps only in London would you see two productions of Richard III running almost at the same time. At first was the all-male Propeller Theatre Company's staging of a Chainsaw Massacre meets Sweeney Todd version of this classic Shakespeare play. This was then shortly followed by the Old Vic's production with Kevin Spacey as lead and Sam Mendes as director.

It is inevitable, as we bitches would naturally do, to compare the two productions. Propeller's production splashed the stage with maximum buckets of blood, evoking the sheer brutality and ruthlessness of Richard III. Old Vic's production is more traditional in terms of sticking closely to the text, but contemporary.

Spacey as Richard III is damn quite exceptional and brilliant, definitely worthy of an Olivier. Richard Clothier, playing Propeller's Richard III, may not be as superb as Spacey, but his performance stands out as the more colorful and enjoyable portrayal.

So which one did I like better? Well then, I say with certainty that Propeller- to me- gave out a more bloody, brutal, inventive, yet funny and exciting production. Having said that, I still heart Kevin Spacey!


Yours,

La Dolce Vita

Photo of Kevin Spacey by Robert Wilson

6 comments:

  1. Ms. Vita! Not to be outdone by Holly, of course. Was this (Propeller link) the Propeller show that you were referring to? Looks interesting, indeed.

    I hear Mr. Mendes' take will show in Hong Kong, I'm sure Ms. Primrose Patty won't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, Mr. Mendes' Richard III is part of The Bridge Project. It will be taking on an international tour including Singapore and Hong Kong in 2012. So Ms Patty and yourself should watch out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolce, my my. I wish now I had seen the Propeller play. I was of the impression they were two different plays of the same material. And from what I can gleam from your fabulous review, I think I may be right. Would you concur that the Propeller version is a play of brutality and violence, whereas the Spacey/Mendes production is a play about the blind ambitions, psychopathic obsessions and myopic vision (all brilliantly symbolised by the moving claustrophobic walls which widened as Richard III's ambitions expanded)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolce, sooner than you think. Spacey's Richard III will be in Hong Kong later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hollie dear, let's make sure we catch the Propeller when they are in town. I heard that their Comedy of Errors production was also very good.

    You are absolutely right in your observation that the focus on Richard III's character may have differed on the two productions. I can appreciate the symbolism between the space and myopic vision, and if i may add, it could also relate to the growing, deepening greed of Richard III.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Divorcé, that soon in HK? Do get tickets, it's a must, if you have to steal or kill, just do it.

    ReplyDelete