CELEBRITIES        CULTURE        FASHION        FILM        FOOD        MUSIC        THEATRE        TRAVEL        TV

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Audrey Hepburn as a CGI character



My lovelies,

I've realized today that if Ms. Hepburn hadn't been a real person and instead a CGI-created character, all those film geeks who diss her film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" would come to their senses and finally see it for what it is - an escapist fantasy at its best.  And let's face it, isn't that what a film (if not now, at least then) is all about?   For the viewer to be absorbed in another world?  A world where every problem can be glossed over, and no matter how bad things get, one can still look oh so pretty!  I mean, come on! - the movie opened with her wearing that divine and now iconic Givenchy little black dress, and STILL they expect realism?  These people can be real stupid.

As I was saying, Ms. Hepburn was a real living person and that was the problem.  Some of these critics, seeing that it isn't animation (the conventional medium for fantasy films) but live-action with real-person actors, think it should've been a portrayal of real-life as real-life is normally perceived and acted out.  The two main characters being prostitutes, they think it should have the gritty realism of their lifestyle.  Well, I don't know about that. You can ask any prostitute out there and I'm sure they would rather be portrayed by Ms. Hepburn as Hollie Golightly than as a battered cokehead.

So really I don't know what these naysayers are on about.  They say the film is all fake when what it is, is fantastic.  They say Ms. Hepburn is manufactured by the studio system when what she really is, is a work of art.


Le Gay Divorcé


P.S.
And of course I'm writing this because our Ms. Go-Lightly is too shy to express her opinion of her own film, today celebrating its 50th anniversary.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my darling, thank you for being so kind to me. You know how shy I get about tooting my own horn. I much prefer other people do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once had a Fred in New York. He was a writer too. He didn't bother pretending to be an interior designer tho. I wonder what became of him.

    ReplyDelete